Week 5, Tuesday

April 21, 2009 at 9:26 pm (Java, Week 5) (, , , , , , , , )

Eric and I spent the morning making some styling tweaks to the Rails application, and I moved back to Tic-Tac-Toe in the afternoon. I got the board score caching to work almost immediately, or so I thought. Micah sat down with me to help me with my Ant build, which had been broken since I split the project up into packages. The fix there turned out to be easy (with the right knowledge): I needed to add JUnit to the compile classpath. For some reason I had it in the classpath for the <junit> element for running the actual tests, but not in the compile.

So then we took a look at my caching mechanism, which was taking up the whole heap and throwing errors at 6 levels deep in the game tree. Micah helped me to increase the heap size to 512MB, which got us to 9 or 10 levels deep, but we still eventually took up the whole heap again. We spent some time with a profiler tracking down the objects being created, and of course it was the hashed objects (~ 6 million of them) taking up all the memory. We worked for awhile to decrease the memory we were using, but we didn’t end up making it any more levels deep. At this point, the 4×4 computer player still makes some weird moves near the start of the game, but he gets smarter towards the end and avoids losses.

Micah noticed that my caching didn’t have tests (cringe), so that was my next assignment. Because my minimax method was so big and complicated, I kind of went to town with the Extract Method refactoring and eventually figured out a way to get some tests written on the caching part. Along the way, I discovered that JUnit doesn’t allow you to test private methods, and got some “Extract Class” knowledge dropped on me by Doug, who said that if I had a private method that wasn’t already covered by tests on my public methods, maybe those private methods really belonged somewhere else, as public methods on another class! For now, I’m just changing the method I wanted to test into a public method.

I like the looks of this class a lot better now that it has smaller methods – it’s a lot more readable. I think I picked some decent names, like writeScoreToCache(), getCachedScore(), getValueToOtherPlayer(), finalScore(), calculateBestScore(), etc. There is still a lot to be done for this program to look like something out of one of these books I’ve been reading, but it’s getting closer. And I’m getting a lot better at seeing what the differences are, which I think is really positive.

Advertisements

1 Comment

  1. Markus Gärtner said,

    In Java you can make methods protected and they will be accessable from the whole package. This does not fully break encapsulation and gives you the opportunity for proper unit testing – Doug’s point might be still valid of course. You motivated me to train some code review myself on your code. Maybe I come to this this evening.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: