More fun with JRuby (but for real this time)

May 14, 2009 at 10:19 pm (Java, Ruby, Week 8) (, , , , , )

Well, I knew I would see some benefits from my seemingly unproductive work yesterday, but I didn’t imagine that I’d be able to have a patch together today. It turned out that with the knowledge I gained yesterday, along with some smarter strategies, I was able to fix the issue with spaces in directories housing jarred gems that was haunting me. It wasn’t easy, but I tracked my way through the JRuby source and submitted a tested patch to the JRuby issue tracker. We’ll see; maybe it’ll get accepted, or maybe there’s something I haven’t thought of that’ll hold it back. Either way, I gained a lot of confidence, and I’m excited about taking up Charles Nutter’s call to fix RubySpecs in JRuby. Very timely!

I was also in on some meetings with the rest of the development team Micah and Doug are working with. They’re based remotely (Doug just flew back into town after working onsite with them), so we did some teleconferencing using Skype for video chat and Adobe Connect for screen sharing. It’s pretty amazing technology, and while I can’t discount the great value you see from working side-by-side all the time, I’m impressed that it’s so easy.

Micah and I did some CSS and Javascript (JQuery) work towards the end of the day. He’s not a fan of the CSS float attribute, so I had to convince him that it was worthwhile for the layout we were working with. Of course, there are generally multiple options, this case included, but I think we ended up with a good starting point for a screen we were laying out. JQuery’s AJAX capability is pretty awesome. We used JQuery.getScript(), which fetches a script from a URL and then loads and executes it (with an optional extra function parameter to run afterwards). It basically does the work that we would’ve had RJS do in a Rails application, but it seems much cleaner to me. We still have some thinking to do about how the performance is going to be in our particular case (1 web request per second will almost certainly be too heavyweight), but it’s a great start. The other big question mark for our current task is to what extent we’ll be able to test it. Luckily, resident TDD Javascript expert Jim Suchy is going to help us out with that. Thanks Jim 😉

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: