Prime factors and the first client project

May 6, 2009 at 6:34 pm (Flex, Java, Limelight, Ruby, Scheme, Week 7) (, , , , , , )

I worked with Doug almost the whole day today, which was great. This morning when I came in, I happened to mention that last night, I’d done the prime factors kata, inspired by tweets from Doug and Caleb, but I used Scheme: the results are in a Gist. It was pretty frustrating trying to do this in a functional style, purposefully avoiding defining anything other than functions, but I sure learned how poorly I understood Scheme’s list-building constructs (cons, cdr, and car). I have a feeling there are clearer ways to do this, and I’ll definitely try again at some point to make it more fluid (I was completely stumped several times).

So, we spent some time in the morning working through the kata in C++, which was awesome. I hadn’t written any C++ since my only CS course in college, around 10 years ago, and what I wrote then was of course very simple. We used CPPUTest as our unit testing framework, but luckily, Doug already had the tests constructed, so we uncommented one at a time and concentrated on the implementation. I’d like to look into testing C++ a bit more at some point, but it may be awhile, considering all the other things I’m learning. We found several variations on the process of solving this problem, and the process of solving it became clearer, slowly but surely, as we worked through it several times. Then Doug said I should “perform” the kata for Caleb, which I did in Java (and in the process learned how much I rely on my IntelliJ Live Templates when I’m writing JUnit test code!) At some point I may try my hand at screencasting and record myself performing it, but I think I need a little more practice first!

Later on, after I struggled through setting up FlexUnit for the small AIR/Flex I’m building, Doug helped me get my bearings in the client project I’m working on now. We were writing Ruby, HTML, and JavaScript code most of the day, though Objective-C is also part of the project, and Flex/ActionScript may be eventually. It was awesome to be working on a bigger project and finding myself able to figure our what’s going on relatively quickly. My Limelight experience with Tic-Tac-Toe definitely paid off – if I hadn’t spent some time with that, there’s no way I would’ve known what was going on today. Of course, the technology itself wasn’t the sole aim of the Limelight Tic-Tac-Toe project – visual design was a big part of that, too.

At any rate, I’ll obviously have to be a bit more vague about project details now, but I’m excited to be getting into some client work, and I know I’m going to learn a lot from seeing Doug and Micah code on a regular basis.

Advertisements

Permalink 2 Comments